Monday, September 12, 2011

I ruined the ending just to piss you off.

My friend Mike told me I should write about spoiled cards and so I will. But I'm not going to review every card, rather only the ones I feel are interesting.


Fiend Hunter
1ww
1/3
When cardname ETB, exile target creature and when cardname leaves play return that creature to play.

For starters he obviously is a first pick in limited, is good in a white weenie deck (wish Winter Orb or Static Orb were still around. Speaking of which, how awesome is Tezz with Orbs!?), and just plain awesome in a Birthing Pod deck. It can smother a titan, sphinx, or even reset a guy if you're looking to get tricksey. If these were rare, which I initially thought it was, I would go "Medina" on your ass, and say buy four asap and grape many people to get extras to grape even more people. EDH lovers will be happy they have yet more removal for no good reason.

Mentor of the Meek
2w
2/2
Draw a card when a creature with power 2 or less ETB if you pay 1.

I really, really, really like this card. But I can't see it really being played at all in constructed. He would be the reason I would play Caw-Blade if Squadron Hawk weren't rotating. Truthfully, he's obviously really fucking good in limited, but lets pan this out with a Standard 60.


It's three mana.
When you play him, he makes all your guys Pyknites.
You don't have to always be drawing cards with him, but what else are you doing?
He could be fine in a Birthing Pod deck as pod makes things cheaper, etc, you do stuff that does stuff..
If your 60 card deck has a shit ton of one drops, then he could be awesome, but what you playing then? elves?

Slayer of the Wicked
3w
3/2

He FTK's an iconic black and white movie monster. Sounds nice, but we still live in a world of titans, unless something....more spooky is on the horizon.

Cackling Counterpart
1uu
Instant - Flashback 5uu

Copy one of your men. At instant speed, this card looks amazing! My initial thought was this would have normally been sorcery speed with the way R&D used to make cards.


EDH players will go ape shit over this card.
It lets you go bonkers with a titan, sphinx, Fiend Hunter..
Sword of Feast and Famine lets you re-buy it on cheatyface style.
Not much else to say but I wouldn't play more than 2 in my 60
He copies LORD OF THE UNREAL!
I need to borrow 4 Thoughsieze for a Modern tourney coming up this Saturday.

Deranged Assistant
1u
1/1
Tap to add 1 to your pool and mill yourself for one

I love this card as much as I loved Milliken. Blue doesn't really need fragile mana acceleration, but this is a horror set with Flashback, so the graveyard does matter! And he helps cast those Flashback cards faster!

Laboratory Maniac
2u
2/2

Dies to Shock, Dismember, Path, Swords, Bolt, double Mogg Fanatic, but If you would draw a card while your library has no cards in it, you win the game instead. Poop.

Mindshrieker
1u
1/1
Flying

Two mana: Target player puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard. Mindshrieker gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is that card's converted mana cost. I like this guy. A lot. He kind of reminds me of how good Tarmogoyf initially was thought of, which was "meh" in the sense that you didn't really have to do much to make him good. Here, the mana cost is still close to tapping out the next turn, but I am positive he will kill lots of people. Also, Flashback and stuff.

Skaab Ruinator
1uu
5/6
Flying
As an additional cost to cast Skaab Ruinator, exile 3 creature cards from your graveyard.

You may cast Skaab Ruinator from your graveyard. I like it. Zombie Infestation Is for sure the first card people have thought of. Seems like a beating. In limited, I have my doubts, but we'll see.

Snapcaster Mage
1u
2/1
Flash

Target sorcery or instant in your graveyard has Flashback equal to it's casting cost. Everyone and their mother is going to Medina this card. A lot has been said about it, but what I like most about it, is that it's a Human. For limited this is important. He'll let you reuse removal and gives any bonuses for going tribal at instant speed. Also, Stephen Menendian will give you his first born and will rub you down with hot oils for 4 foil Japanese ones.

Bloodgift Demon
3bb
5/4
Flying

During your upkeep lose one life and draw a card. At least that's what it basically says. I honestly like this guy a lot more than Phyrexian Obliterator. They both die to Go for the Throat and Dismember, but this badass flies and draws you cards. He's not even Mythic. Don't be a pansy, get a playset asap and always first pick him. Like I need to say that.

Curse of Death's Hold
3bb
Enchantment - Curse

Dudes your opponents control get -1/-1. The card is good. I'm not sure where you want this, but I would guess it's better off one in the main and two in the board. With Black Sun's Zenith, spot removal, and even Life's Finale, it's hard to justify too many maindeck. 1st-2nd pick in Limited.

Endless Ranks of the Undead
2bb
Enchantment

At the beginning of your upkeep, put X 2/2 black zombie creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is half the number of the zombies you control, rounded down. This card is a bomb in limited. I can also see this getting some serious constructed play. But I could be wrong.

Moan of the Unhallowed
2bb
Sorcery - Flashback 5bb

Put two brain eaters into play. I loved this card In OD block when it made 1/1 squirrels. Awesome card for limited. For constructed, now that Spell Pierce is going out, I can see this getting played. One thing to remember is Sword of Feast and Famine is still a card. Who knows? Thank god Flashback seems to be mainly on sorceries. Another plus is it has the word "moan" in the title.

Liliana of the Veal (lols)
1bb
Plainswalker

+1: each player discards a card.
-2: target player sacrifices a creature.
-6: Separate all permanents target player controls into two piles. That player sacrifices all permanents in the pile of his or her choice.

This is a tough card to evaluate. For one, since we don't know the rest of the set, we can't really say how good she is going to be down the road. She is obviously made with this set in mind, but outside of that, all she really does is edict an opponents guy the turn she hits play. With how relevant the graveyard is I'm not sure how much of an impact her first ability is going to play out, which leaves one to question: "how realistic is her third ability?"

Walking Corpse
1b
2/2

A vanilla zombie. This is will be relevant for limited. But what's really cool is the art was done by some guy named Igor.

That's all for now. I will finish red, green, and the lands later this week. I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did.

+1

No comments:

Post a Comment