Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Master and Commander

So my friends finally suckered me into making a Commander deck, aka "EDH". And it is a fun way to play magic, but with my past experience playing group games, as that is how I started playing, I wanted to pick something fun, not very political, and something that didn't target a whole lot of things or people.

I picked up the new Mirror Mastery pre-constructed box set from WoTC. I liked some of the cards and especially liked making copies (making copies!) and it looked innocent enough. I made some card changes here and there, packed it up, and headed to Comic Town to play a few games. I had some fun and all around good man Reuben Bresler made some top notch suggestions after I encouraged him to play my deck. He wanted to try something different anyway. Some guys and I later played some at a local Tee Jays. I liked what I had but felt something was amiss.

A few days later, and with a fresh perspective, I gathered up the deck, some cards and sat at the computer looking for ideas. I looked at things that stole opponents lands or destroyed them. That didn't seem very fun, but was an idea I could use later down the road if I felt like being "the Dick" at the table some FNM or two.

Stacking some cards together and seperating some piles, I noticed I'd forgotten about the other Generals in the pre-con. One in particular was new. Called Animar for URG, he was an interesting 1/1 with protection from black and white, and got bigger for each creature you cast. That seemed cool, but what really caught my eye was the last part of the text box: "cost one less".

So after some goldfishing and a few pick up one v one games, I had a list. It doesn't have any duels or power nine aside from the pre-con Sol Ring and a tricked up Mana Vault, but it looks solid and a loads of fun!

Artifacts
Swift Boots
Lightning Greaves
Crystal Shard
Simic Signet
Darksteel Ingot
Wurmcoil Engine
Manalith
Sol Ring
Mana Vault
Birthing Pod

Red
Bogardan Hellkite
Urabrask
Flametongue Kavu

Colorless
Artisan of Kozilek

Multi-Color
Coiling Oracle

Blue
Shrieking Drake
Augury Owl
Sphinx of Uthuun
Mulldrifter
Merfolk Looter
Phyrexian Metamorph
Keiga, the Tide Star
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Phyrexian Ingester
Dreamscape Artist
Djinn of Wishes
Deep Analysis
Riftwing Cloudskate
Frost Titan
Consecrated Sphinx
Words of Wind
Equilibrium

Green
Chord of Calling
Wood Elves
Primordial Sage
Brutalizer Exarch
Garruk's Packleader
Garruk's Horde
Genesis Wave
Pelakka Wurm
Explore
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
Explosive Vegetation
Kodama's Reach
Cultivate
Yavimaya Elder
Wickerbough Elder
Krosan Tusker
Hydra Omnivore
Drumhunter
Tooth and Nail
Acidic Slime
Loaming Shaman
Deadwood Treefolk
Sylvan Ranger (over Sakura-Tribe Elder for the moment. see Joraga Treespeaker)
Druid of the Anima (should be a Quirion Elves)
Joraga Treespeaker
Fierce Empath
Wall of Roots
Oracle of Mul Daya

Lands
7 Island
8 Forest
4 Mountain
Reliquary Tower
Homeward Path
Terramorphic Expanse
Halimar Depths
Strip Mine
Arena
Mosswort Bridge
Grull Turf
Simic Growth Chamber
Izzet Boilerworks
Temple of the False God
Breeding Pool
Steam Vents
Flooded Grove
Command Tower
Rupture Spire
Rootbound Crag
Vivid Creek
Vivid Grove
Vivid Crag

I don't mind not having Grim Monolith, Moxen, or any of the like in here. The few things I would like for it are the Quirion Elves and Cascade Bluffs. It's possible I have too much mana for the deck, but I really would rather be mana flooded than mana screwed. I am sure there are other cards I could put in my deck, but I've no idea what they would be. Down below is a list of cards for consideration and a wish list.

I really like the addition of Shrieking Drake. I thought about Man-O-War, but I already have Riftwing Cloudskate, which is a fine man in many more situations than just bouncing a guy. Shrieking Drake I wasn't too sure about till someone suggested it when I told them the general I was using.

I had Garruk in the deck originally, but wasn't too excited about him. The new Garruk, Primal Hunter,  however, is something I would love to have. Some cards I just don't own. I assume Sphinx of Uthuun is a fine guy, but Garruk, Primal Hunter would fill that spot easily and Inferno Titan would rap up the ETB trigger.

I like Drumhunter, but Solomn Simulacrum does the same basic thing, although Drumhunter has the possibility of actually drawing more cards. Maybe both should be played?

I like Chord of Calling, but I think Green Sun's Zenith is better by miles, especially with cards like Eternal Witness, Primeval Titan, and Dryad Arbor.

I love Primal Command. It could easily replace Pelakka Wurm, but I think they can be a powerhouse together.

Over time I am sure I will figure out what's best, but I am just happy to pick up Animar over just making copies. The mana constraints are too harsh and I feel that it'd be just better to play more of a spell heavy deck with the Mirror.


Wishlist
Solomn Simulacrum <- Drumhunter
Garruk, Primal Hunter <-Krosan Tusker
Inferno Titan <-Sphinx of Uthuun
Primeval Titan <-Explore
Dryad Arbor <-Forest
Green Sun's Zenith <-Chord of Calling
Eternal Witness <-probably a basic mountain
Primal Command <-IDK

Considerations
Jace Beleren
Splinter Twin
Deciever Exarch
Pestermite
Beast Within
Predator Flagship
Asceticism
Nest Invader
Kozileks Predator
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Spike Feeder
Spike Soldier
Spike Weaver
Sylvan Library
Greater Good
Harmonize

+1

No comments:

Post a Comment